Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Petals Mini Scarf

What a week!  I've been running about like a crazy person and I still have more to do.  This is the sad weekend.  I have to take down all my Halloween stuff.  Taking stuff down is never as much fun as putting it up.  I've also added other insanity.  I'm thinking about trying my hand at refinishing furniture.  I've found candidate sofas, well one's a love seat, and I realized I've been looking just for couches.  The coffee table, one of the key reasons why I'm wanting new furniture, won't go with the new stuff at all.  Please don't read 'go with' as 'match'.  I don't care if my furniture matches, so long as it looks nice with the other pieces.  This is a good thing since I don't like any of the tables at the website that has the couches I want.  I started hunting around Craigslist for coffee tables and end tables with the thought of somehow refinishing them in garishly bright colors.  It should be fantastic.  Anywho, there may be some table hunting this weekend as a reward for getting my Halloween stuff taken care of and, if I find something, there may be table updates ahead!  Should be an entertaining experience at the very least.  I think I got addicted to building/painting stuff when I was making corpsy.  Just what I need, another hobby.

It has, however, been far too long since I put up a pattern for your viewing pleasure so here's something fun and fast!

I'm rather amazed how well this little scarf came out.  You see, I was feeling horribly uncreative as I played with my yarn. I started thinking about my Leaf mini scarf, I like it a lot and wear it quite often, and though about making  a variation of it.  Thus the Petals scarf was born, so named because it looks like pansies to me.  I think you'll agree that it has a lot of promise and not just as a mini scarf.  In fact, I was so intrigued by the possibilities of this pattern I made two extra swatches to show off what it can do.

The original mini scarf is quite pretty.  It looks light and delicate and I really like that the pattern in it looks rather like pansy petals.  But then I got to thinking how it would look as a full sized scarf or as a choker.  That's where the extra swatches come in.  I made one with Lion Brand Thick and Quick and and N hook (on left) to see how it would look in bulky yarn, then I broke out the crochet thread and my steel hooks (size 7) to see how it would look as a choker fabric (on right).  Here's what I came up with.



There you are, proof that these patterns really will work with any yarn and appropriately sized hook.  That variation ability is part of why I'm so keen on this sort of pattern.  Anything gauge free is a friend of mine!






Honestly, I'm rather fond of the chunky version of this pattern.  It didn't come out quite as long as I would have liked, but then, I didn't have a full ball of yarn to begin with.  It is still long enough to be used as a scarf, though.  What I really like about the chunky one is how it goes around the neck, making a slightly raised collar.  I've already used it several times too; anything this thick keeps air from coming down the neck edge of a coat and this scarf is no exception.



Petals Mini Scarf

F hook
About 120 yards (40 grams) Naturally Caron Spa in Ocean Spray

Ch 3.
Row 1:  Make 8 dc in the 3rd chain from hook.  Turn.
Row 2:  Skipping the first dc, slst in the tops of the next 2 dc then between the 3rd and 4th dc of the previous row.  Ch 2, 2 dc in same space.  Skip 1 dc and make 3 dc in the top of the next dc.  Skip 1 dc and make 3 dc between the skipped stitch and the next dc. Turn.


Repeat Row 2 until scarf measures 60 inches (153 cm) and break off.  Weave in ends.










No comments:

Post a Comment